November 09, 2023
Episode 06: Never ‘Get in the Way of Momentum’ with Benson Saulo
The importance of Momentum in Negotiations. Insights from Benson Saulo
In this rolling episode, we’re honoured to have Benson Saulo, a black belt of both the boardroom negotiation world and the cultural weave of international diplomacy, sharing his unparalleled insights. Benson is a descendant of the Wemba Wemba and Gunditjmara nations of Western Victoria, and New Ireland Province in Papua New Guinea. Benson is the first Indigenous person to be appointed an Australian Consul-General. Drawing from his rich experience in banking, social impact, and as the Australian Youth Representative to the United Nations, Benson imparts the lessons he’s learned from the global stage to the familial setting, highlighting that the principles of negotiation are universal.
Recap & Takeaways
- Never Get in the way of Momentum: Learn why it’s crucial to keep the conversation moving forward and how introducing unnecessary obstacles can derail a negotiation’s progress.
- Language as a Vehicle: Discover how the power of language can either be a barrier or a catalyst in reaching an agreement, and the importance of choosing words that align with your intent.
- Empathy in Action: Understand the role of empathy in negotiations and how truly comprehending the other party’s motivations can lead to mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Getting Unstuck: How to spot the problems that are causing the hold up and what you can do to fix them. Whether people are seeing things differently, getting their wires crossed, or just want different things, Benson has some handy tips for getting everyone back on the same page and the chat flowing again.
- The Tracks of Negotiation: How setting clear expectations, establishing a shared understanding of goals, and creating a roadmap can guide negotiations towards a successful outcome. Just as a train requires well laid tracks to reach its destination, a negotiation needs structure and direction.
- Intent Over Words: A reminder that the spirit behind the words is what truly matters, and how to look beyond the surface to grasp the true intent of your negotiation partner.
Start Listening Today!
Each week, we hit the mats to grapple with the art of negotiation. It’s not just about the moves, it’s about the mindset. Stay tuned for more insights and strategies on “Rolling Through Negotiations” where we’ll keep it real on how to tackle those tough talks like a black belt.